Sunday, 20 January 2008

0x800700C1 fix

Probably spent way too long getting this school PC working again ...

In short
As you tried to login to Windows XP Home (SP2) it showed a message and logged out again.
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x800700C1
The suggested fix for error 0x800700C1 had been try re-registering regwizc/licdll or see 310794 from MS and if they don't work reinstall/recover XP - and more than likely lose your applications and settings.

In short, the answer I found was to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) using Safe Mode, which gets rid of the Windows Genuine Advantage that's causing the error. Then reboot and reinstall SP2 which resets WGA. I had to activate again (prob from resetting wpa.dbl earlier) and then install IE7 from MS Downloads before I could run WindowsUpdate.

[After reinstalling IE7 I got error 0x800703EE from WindowsUpdate which I traced to c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll - file length was 0 bytes. Deleting the file and reloading WindowsUpdate fixed that.]

1 comment:

redleg said...

I should also have mentioned that I traced the occurrence of the fault back to an error in the Event Viewer. Sophos Anti-Virus reported Event ID 6 with these details:
E-FAILURE CManager::BeginProcessing in the ComponentManager component encountered a catastrophic error that it could not recover from.

Sophos happily updated and initialised again after the SP2 reinstall.

Trust 1&1 Internet for your domain name registration, from only £1.99/year!. Check now!